Pathways is a sample-based Max for Live instrument that allows users to draw paths (made of small points) for sample playback over a spectrogram interface. The playback path (in blue) is based on which points were drawn first to last, allowing for all kinds of linear and nonlinear playback possibilities. It offers two playback modes that support a variable rate of playback (and freezing) without altering the pitch. This opens up options for approaching time-stretching and filtering. The position of a playhead on the spectrogram (orange lines) corresponds to the filtering and position of the sample that is being played by that voice. This gives users an intuitive understanding of a complex approach to playback.
Comes with the device, 68 presets (24 of which only work with Live 11+, the rest work with Live 10 and 11), 35 samples, and a User Manual.
Works with Live 10 and up!
- Basic drawing shape and transformation tools for drawing playback pathways
- Ability to draw multiple playback paths separated by tabs (up to 8)
- Overall pitch transposition and gain
- Independent settings and functions per path drawing including:
- --- Functions for naming, soloing, duplicating, clearing, and deleting a path
- --- Maximum number of voices (up to 12 per path)
- --- Trigger playback mode (automatically or with MIDI note input)
- --- Rate of starting playback for a new voice (in case of auto playback), with a randomization option
- --- Length of time it takes for a voice to play the whole drawn pathway, with a randomization option
- --- Play direction (in terms of following the pathway): forward, backward, forthback, backforth
- --- Randomize start position option
- --- Choose between the Y position of a playhead corresponding to the filter center or the panning
- --- 2 different playback modes: (FFT) Phase vocoder FFT based playback or (Grain) 3 short grains centered at the current playback position with a grain size option
- --- Pitch transposition and fine-tuning
- --- Panning with a randomization option
- --- Filter width, resonance and gain
Richard Devine (Live 11 Only)
Philippe Loiseau (Live 11 Only)
TO INSTALL AND USE PRESETS:
Drop the entire folder called "Pathways" (NOT the folder called "Pathways v.x.x.x") into the folder called "ableton/user library/presets/instruments/max instrument". This is found in the "Places" section in Live's browser or in your finder/file browser. If you are going through finder (mac) the Ableton folder is typically in your "Music" folder. If you are going through your file browser (windows) it is typically in the "My Music" folder.
Presets are best accessed through this folder as well because they are a mix of instrument rack and device-only presets.
IF THERE ARE ISSUES:
Make sure you have the latest version of Live 10 or Live 11. If that doesn't resolve things then download the latest version of Max/MSP from cycling74.com (you don't need a license to download it), then in Live's preferences, set max to that version and reset Live (if you have an old crack of Live then you will have to add a line in the options.txt text to make that work, google for more info). If you still have issues after that then reach out to me (email is below).
MORE STUFF: dillonbastan.com
CONTACT ME: firstname.lastname@example.org